If you follow some of these simple tips you will see a significant difference in your heating costs …….
Update your heating controls
- Modern controls are a lot more accurate.
- Controls should be replaced if they are over 12 years old.
Get the most from your thermostat
- Turn down the heating in rooms you don’t use.
- Set the thermostat at around 18 degrees and turn it up by 1 degree at a time when necessary.
- Do not cover thermostats, as this will give an inaccurate reading.
- Consider installing a ‘Smart’ thermostat, this will allow you to keep a watchful eye on your energy costs.
Zone your heating
- Having thermostats for different rooms allows you to zone temperatures depending on where you spend your time.
Time or programme your heating
- Time your heating to when you need it most.
- Some programmers allow you to set different temperatures for different times of the day, so you don’t waste heat.
Set radiator valves low
- Thermostatic radiator valves should be set to low and then gradually turned up.
- Turning your thermostatic radiator valves to a higher setting will not heat your room up any faster …. that is dependent on your boiler and radiator size!
Improve your heating habits
- Make the most of natural sunlight and warmth.
- Let fresh air into your home to keep it fresh.
- Close doors to keep heat in.
- Add layers of clothing, which can be adjusted as needed!
Low cost heating changes you can make
- Buy draught proof doors.
- Seal draughty gaps.
- Insulate your hot water cylinder.
- Insulate your loft and don’t forget the hatch.
All of these tips go some way towards conserving energy and reducing your costs. If you wish to discuss any of the above, why not give us a call here at Watertite, we would love to help further.